Here is a listing of Audition Guidelines for all auditions at Plaza Theatre Company:
1. Be prepared. Thoroughly research the audition requirements provided by the theater
company and prepare with material to fulfill those requirements. Different shows mean
different Directors so study the Audition Notice to understand the specific requirements for
the show for which you intend to audition. NEVER tell those casting the show you've come
to the audition unprepared. Also, provide them with exactly what they request, for example, if they ask for 32 bars, sing them your best 32 bars.
2. Know your schedule. Don't come to an audition without a clear knowledge of your
availability. If significant conflicts exist, be prepared to list them for the information of those
casting the show.
3. Know the show. If the materials are available, research the show for which you are
auditioning. If it's a musical, listen to the soundtrack. If it's a play, read the script. Learn
about the characters for which you are auditioning.
4. Provide detailed information about yourself. When possible, supply the Director with
a resume of past experience as well as a recent head shot. If you have no headshot
available, you should provide a recent photograph. Be sure the contact information you
provide is accurate and legible.
5. Bring your own materials. Do not expect the theater for which you are auditioning to
provide the materials you are using to audition. You should bring your own sheet music
neatly prepared and marked for the pianist.
6. Prepare to sing with a pianist. Our preference at Plaza is that you sing with the pianist
provided at the audition. If you simply must sing with some sort of recorded track, provide
a track that is simple to cue.
7. Be polite. Be courteous to those for whom you are auditioning as well as to other
performers at the audition.
8. Dress appropriately. Even an audition needs a costume. Be familiar with what is expected at the audition so that you may dress to suit what will be asked of you.
9. Do not assume an invitation to audition by the Director or Producer is an indication of pre-casting. In fact, Plaza Theatre Company only pre-casts in very rare situations, and when we do, it is announced BEFORE the audition. Being invited to audition will never mean the role is yours before the audition at Plaza.
10. Plan to attend the entire Call Back. Every Director has a different style, so every Call
Back is different. Should the Director invite you to the Call Back, plan to attend the session
for as long as your presence is required. Many Directors require seeing many things from
those auditioning before they arrive at their casting decisions. Plan to give them everything
they need to see.
11. Listen carefully at the audition. Details about the timing of casting decisions, first
rehearsals, etc. are often given verbally at the Call Back audition. Always listen carefully for
these details while at the Call Back.
12. Don't get discouraged. You may, once casting decisions have been made, be unhappy
with the role you receive or you may not get cast at all. Don't be discouraged, just mark it
down as a learning experience and move on to the next audition. There will always be
This is a list of principles Plaza Theatre Company will adhere to in regards to all auditioning and casting activities. This includes all Producers, Directors, Assistant Directors, Stage Managers, Choreographers, Musical Directors, or anyone else involved in the show.
1. Plaza Theatre Company casts from open auditions. First consideration for roles will be given to those who choose to audition for the show.
2. In the event that PlazaCo producers elect to pre-cast a role, notice will be given BEFORE the audition.
3. Plaza Theatre Company will always cast those they feel will best suit the role and production.
4. Plaza Theatre Company will never allow favoritism to be shown at an audition. Every audition will begin from a level playing field.
5. Plaza Theatre Company will always strive to make the audition process open and polite. Every auditioner will be shown appreciation for their willingness to audition.
6. Plaza Theatre Company will always present a prepared audition process. Auditioners time will always be a consideration.
7. Plaza Theatre Company will strive to provide timely notification throughout the casting process. All auditioners will be notified as soon as possible regarding casting decisions.